A Gentleman of Noble Character
Industry Insights on Portable Alkaline Battery Leakage
Portable Alkaline Batteries such as these AA Cells shown on this page, leak a crystalline (salt) compound known as Potassium Carbonate. This substrate is highly corrosive and will destroy the metal connectors and the electronic circuitry where these batteries are installed.
GHS (Globally Harmonized System) Hazard Statements: < link > < ICSC 1588 >
Ref: Potassium Carbonate
• H302 - Harmful if swallowed
• H315 - Causes skin irritation
• H319 - Causes serious eye irritation
• H335 - May cause respiratory irritation
Practical CAUTION Notes:
• Monitor child activity with battery operated toys and devices.
• REMOVE the batteries when the device will NOT be used for long periods of time.
• Leaky Batteries should by treated as Hazardous Material (HAZMAT).
• AVOID contact with eyes, nose and mouth while handling.
• Wash hands and surfaces after handling leaky batteries.
• Domestic Pets are at risk as well when exposed to Potassium Carbonate.
These were purchased in November of 2020. Yet, these still leaked after only two months while still in the un-opened package.
NOTE: The date on the housing is Nov 2026
Be wary of manufacturer's claims of battery products that do not or "cannot" leak.
Typical Portable Battery Usable Range (E.g. 1.5 VDC - AA Alkaline Battery Cells)
New battery cells will typically have an initial operating voltage of 1.5 to 1.7 Volts. Affordable battery testers such as the GBT-3502 shown here cost 8-12 dollars and will test AAAA, AAA, AA, C, D, 9V, and Disc Batteries.
General Consumer Insights and Precautions (E.g. AA Alkaline Cells):
• Devices operate erractically and become unstable when batteries degrade below 1.3 Volts DC.
• If the batteries still show "GOOD" by a battery tester, then the contacts or the device is at fault.
• Do NOT freeze these Alkaline Batteries! Keep at room temperature.
• Clean both the (+) and the (-) contacts. Remove ANY residue.
• You may polish these contacts with a mild abrasive (E.g. 3M Scotch Pad).
Contact Corrosion by